Advertisement

Weighted Hip Belt

topic posted Thu, June 22, 2006 - 9:04 AM by  Robin
Share/Save/Bookmark
Has anyone used the weighted hip belt that Delilah sells? I might get one. What do you like about them? What don't you like about them?
posted by:
Robin
Minneapolis
Advertisement
  • Unfortunately mine got packed away when moving stuff around to remodel. I love mine. It does make your figure eights a lot stronger. I don't have any complaints
  • On a DIY basis, you can make one of these. My teacher has one that she bought from Delilah, and she also has made one.

What she did was make a belt with many pockets - it's about 6 inches deep. She made little weight "pillows," filled with sand, each weighing a pound, I think. Those go into the pockets, which allows you to change the weight of the belt.

At about $80, Delilah's belts are out of my price range at the moment - and I'm not sure they'd fit around my ample self - so as soon as I've got the time, I'm going to try to create one. I'm thinking of using BBs to fill the weights - something small but heavy, anyway.
    • Yes, same here - when I get my hand-me-down sewing machine from my mum I'm going to sew one. $80 is a BIT too much for something I'm pretty certain I can make with my limited sewing skillz. :)

But it IS a brilliant idea, and I will totally credit her if people ask about it.
      • I think she used the same type of fastening as Delilah's. A strap that goes through a D-ring, and Velcro's itself shut.

Which makes it a bit adjustable.
        • the one i have from delilah is made out of a fabric the the velcro sticks right to so it's compleatly adjustable.
          • I bought one of these before I even started belly dance so I could use it when I started taking classes. I actually used it a few times and then completely forgot that I had it until it was brought up on in this thread. I'm going to pull it out and start using it again! Thanks girls!!
    • I'm all for DIY when ya got the time, but I couldn't help but pipe up here...
      The nice thing about Delilah's belts is that they are made for bellydancers. They are soft, the filling won't hurt you if you drop it on yourself. The removable bags fit easily in on your palms if your troupe needs to work on all holding their arms up to the same level. They will stay on your head in you need to pratice keeping yourself from popping up and down and all around (also strengthing the core). You can take some of those out, use them and keep useing your belt (minus a couple pounds). Wrists and ankle weights, worn on the wrists and ankles, cut off the energy dancers need to extend all the way through and out their arms and hands. Pushing out through the bag on the palm works much better for this than something clipped around your wrist.

And they are pretty! They look like dance gear - the basic ones in soft fabric and pleasing colors, or the delux ones with brocade fabric and bullion or coin trim. Some (I'm not sure if all) have a little pocket for your driver's licence, cash, etc and a D-ring for your car keys, so you can just pop on your belt and go without dragging around a purse or bag. I honestly wear my black one out to rock shows and clubs sometimes...just looks like another wacky belt 'round my hips.

You can wash it. Which is, you know, kinda nice for workout gear :)

The price not only pays for a product specificlly designed for your mode of study but also supports the American women who make these. That's right, they are made locally, not by foreign laborers makeing slave wages supporting our US imperialism. So choosing to spend your money here can be a politcal act too, if yer into that kind of stuff :)

Also, to actually make them the way she does (and believe me, a lot of thought has been put in the design of these things for your comfort, effectivness and ease of use), is a pretty big mess. She uses some kind of shot, it gets everywhere (yes, early on, I tried :p ) The special velcro adhereing fabric is only made by only one company and can therefore be hard to find.

So there's couple things to think about when weighing DIY and purchasing one ready made. Good luck! :)
      • Oh, I totally agree, it would be far better to buy one of Delilah's, for a number of reasons, which you've mentioned.

Unfortunately, the price can be unaffordable for some of us. Not that her belts aren't worth every penny, just that not everyone has that many pennies to spare.
  • i love mine.....

start off small!!! use a few weights not the entire load and only start out using it for 10 min max at first and build up your tolerance. make sure you have proper posture as with anything you do. do basic movements like hip circles and figure 8's etc...

if my back is cranky i don't use the weight belt...
    • Lyla,
      do you find the weight belt causes knee pressure?
      • knee pressure - not as of yet...i use it on a carpeted surface so i have some padding and i don't do anything that will take my body out of alignment..no twisting with my knees...

anything on tile or concrete i feel in my knees (i had a dance class on a tile floor, OUCH!) so i would never use the weight belt on these surfaces

i also tend to just do isolations with it and some shimmeying but not a lot ... i do the moves slowely and in a very controlled manner...i herniated a disk in my back last year so i am super careful with posture and the like. i focus on repitition and not on speed so far.
  • Delilah's weight belts RAK! They are perfectly balanced.

For those DIY gals or those on a budget....

If you're creating them from ankle weights you'll need 3 or 4 so the weight is evenly distributed around your hips. Otherwise, the weight will be distributed in the front/back or on the sides.

Dive belts are meant to be worn on the waist, not the hips, so the length is often too short leaving you unbalanced with no weight in one area depending on where you wear the closure. This does actually throw off your balance.

I've tried both. I had some old ankle weights that I tried. And, someone actually gave me a dive belt as a housesitting gift because he knew I was lusting after a belly dance weight belt. The weights in the dive belt that I was given are steel rods which are not too comfortable. They're very hard and stiff.

So, if you can afford it I recommend one of Delilah's weight belts. If not, get creative and make one similar to hers for the ultimate in comfort and safety.
  • Unsu...

Kami Liddle told me she bought one years ago but found drilling more effective than wearing the belt.

Doesn't make me want one less though. I've emailed Delilah a few times and haven't received a reply so I kind of just let it go for awhile.
    • I got one about a year ago and found the same thing--that I'd rather just drill. So I'm selling mine cheap (cheaper!) if anyone is interested...send a message...
    • Unsu...

i got delilas belt. its awesome. sometimes i get tired quick with it so i practice without it, but most of the time i wear it. i was able to teach my 11 year old sister the three quarter shimmy using the belt. she wore it and picked up the move so quickly.

Recent topics in "The Indigo Belly Dance"